In this post, we have brought you a fruit names list, through which you can get to know the names of these fruits in different languages.
We all know how beneficial fruits are for our health, vitamins, minerals, calcium, phosphorus and many other nutrients present in them fulfill the deficiencies in our body. Therefore, fruits must be consumed daily.
Apple – सेब
Apple is red or green-colored fruit, it is rich in vitamins. In scientific language, the apple is called Malus Domestica. The apple tree grows to a height of about 3 to 7 meters. Its bark is brown in color. Its flowers are white or pink in color.
- English – Apple, Crab apple
- Hindi – सेब
- Sanskrit – मुष्टिप्रमाण, महाबदर
- Kannada – Servu-kittalay
- Gujarati – Safarchand, Safarjan
- Marathi – Safarchand
Mango – आम
Mango is a type of succulent fruit. Its scientific name is Mangifera indica. Mango species are called Mangifera. This fruit species was earlier found only in the Indian subcontinent but gradually spread to other countries. Most of it is produced in India. It is considered the national fruit in India, Pakistan, and the Philippines.
- English – Mango
- Hindi – आम
- Sanskrit – आम्रम्‚ रसाल,‚ सहकार
- Kannada – Maavina Hannu
- Gujarati – Kery, Aam
- Marathi – Aam
Orange – संतरा
Known as orange, this fruit is known by many names in the world. The botanical name of orange is Citrus reticulata and it belongs to the Rutaceae family.
- English – Loose skinned orange, Clementine
- Hindi – नारंगी, संतरा
- Sanskrit – नारङ्ग, त्वक्सुगन्ध, स्वादुनारंग
- Kannada – Herale, Dorale
- Gujrati – Naranga, Narangi, Santara
- Marathi – Narang, Santra
Sweet Lime – मौसमी
Papaya – पपीता
Papaya is a fruit. Scientific name of papaya is Carica papaya. Its family is Caricaceae. It has medicinal use. Papaya is not only delicious, but it is also beneficial for health.
- English- Papaya
- Hindi- पपीता, पोपैया
- Sanskrit- एरण्ड कर्कटी, ब्रह्मएरण्ड
- Kannada- Parangimara, Goppe
- Gujrati- Papayi, Chibda
- Marathi- Papayi
Peach – आड़ू
The botanical name of peach is Prunus persica and it belongs to the Rosaceae family. Peach is the fruit of the summer season and its consumption is considered very beneficial for health. This yellow and red color fruit looks like an apple in shape to a large extent.
- English:- Peach, Nectarine
- Hindi:- आड़ू, आलूका
- Sanskrit:–आरुकम्, पिचुकम्
- Kannada:- Pichchisuhanne, Pichhesu
- Gujrati:– Aru, Shaftalu
Pineapple – अनानास
The botanical name of Pineapple is Ananas comosus, it is a fruit of the Bromeliaceae family. Pineapple has a different taste than other fruits. This is the reason why people eat pineapple very fondly.
- English:- Pineapple
- Hindi:- अनन्नास, अनानास
- Sanskrit:- बहुनेत्रफला, अनन्नासम्
- Malayalam:- Kaithachakka, Kaitachchakka
- Marathi:- Anannas
- Tamil:- Anashappalaem
- Gujarati:- Anannas
- Nepali:- Bhui kathar
The botanical name of pomegranate is Punica granatum, and it belongs to the Punicaceae family. There are hundreds of red-colored small but juicy grains in it. Pomegranate is found in the warm regions of the world. It is an important fruit from the point of view of health.
- English:- Apple of Grenada, Pomegranate
- Hindi:- अनार, दाड़िम
- Sanskrit:- दाडिम, रक्तपुष्पक, लोहितपुष्पक, दलन
- Gujarati:- Dadam, Gulnar
- Marathi:- Dalimba
- Kannada:- Dalimbe, Hulidalimbe
- Telugu:- Dalimb Kaya
Pear – नाशपाती
The botanical name of the pear is Pyrus communis. Pear belongs to the Rosaceae family. Peartree is up to 12 m high, branched, and leafy. Its fruits are almost spherical, thick, green, or yellow in color.
- Hindi:- नाशपाती
- English:- Pear, Common pear, Peartree
- Marathi:- नाशपाती (Naspati)
- Marathi:- नाशपाती (Naspati)
- Tamil:- Perikkay
Watermelon – तरबूज
The botanical name of watermelon is Citrullus lanatus and it belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family. Watermelon is a fruit. Its creeper is long and spreads far. The stem of the watermelon is grooved. Its leaves are straight, pinnate and cut at the edges, and long and dark. Its flowers are yellow in color. Its fruits are spherical or elliptical.
- English:- Water melon
- Hindi:- तरबूज, तरबूजा, हिनमाना
- Sanskrit:- कालिन्द, तरंबूजा, कालिङ्ग, सुवर्त्तुल
- Gujarati:- Tadbuj (तड़बूज), Tarbuch (तरबुच)
- Tamil :- Pullum (पुल्लुम), Komantti (कोंमाट्टि)
- Marathi:- Kalingada (कलिंगड़)
Kiwi – कीवी
The scientific name of Kiwi fruit is Actinidia deliciosa. Kiwi fruit is rich in vitamin E, vitamin K, and plenty of potassium, folate.
- English:- Kiwi
- Hindi:- कीवी
Cherry – ग्लास मेवा
Cherry (Glass Nut) is a custard sour-sweet fruit. The scientific name of cherry is Prunus avium. It is mainly a fruit of cold countries, regions. Cherries are most commonly produced in Europe and the United States.
- English:- Cherry
- Hindi:-ग्लास मेवा
- Sanskrit:- प्रबदरम्
Melon is a wonderful fruit, its taste and sweetness are very popular, along with the fruit, its seeds are also used in making sweets. The scientific name of melon is Cucumis melo, it is a plant of the Cucurbitaceae family.
- English:- Muskmelon, Melon, Mush melon
- Hindi:- खरबूज, खरबूजा
- Sanskrit:- खर्बूजम्, मधुपाक, दशाङ्गुल
- Marathi:- Kharbuja (खरबूजा), Chibunda (चिबुण्डा)
- Gujrati:- Shakarateti (शकरातेती), Chibdu (चीबडू)
- Kannada:- Shadbhuja (षड़भुजा), Kudemkayi (कूडेमकयी)
Strawberry – स्ट्राबेरी
Strawberry is a tree of the genus Fragaria, it is cultivated all over the world. This fruit is bright red in color. Apart from being eaten as a fruit, it is also preserved and consumed in the form of jam, juice, pie, ice cream, milk-shake, etc.
Banana – केला
The botanical name of the banana is Musa paradisiaca. and it belongs to the Musaceae family.
- English:- Banana, Plantain
- Hindi:- केला, कदली, केरा
- Sanskrit- कदली, वारणा, मोचा, अम्बुसारा, अंशुमतीफला
- Kannada:- Balehannu (बालेहन्नु), Kadali (कदली)
Blackberry – जामुन
The botanical name of Jamun (Blackberry) is Syzygium cumini, and it belongs to the Myrtaceae family. Jamun (Blackberry) fruits are black and small. According to Ayurveda, Jamun (Blackberry) has many medicinal properties.
- English:- Black plum, Jambolan plum
- Hindi:- बड़ी जामुन, फड़ेना, फलेन्द्र
- Sanskrit:- फलेन्द्रा, राजजम्बू, महाफला, सुरभिपत्रा
- Gujarati:- Jambu (जाम्बु), Jhambudi (झम्बूडी)
- Marathi:- Jambul (जाम्बूल), Jaman (जामन)
- Kannada:- Jambunaerale(जम्बुनेराले), Narala (नराला)
Blueberry – नील बदरी
Blueberry is a blue-colored fruit that is round and small in size. This fruit’s taste is sour and sweet. Many medicinal properties are found in blueberry, and it is very beneficial for health. Its scientific name is “Vaccinium co ribosome“.
- English:- Blueberry
- Hindi:- नील बदरी
Date – खजूर
The botanical name of the date palm is Phoenix sylvestris Roxb. It belongs to the Arecaceae family. Consumption of dates has various benefits for the body. According to Ayurveda, dates are very good medicine and many diseases can be treated with dates.
- English:- Black plum), Jambolan plum
- Hindi:- खजूर, खजूरी, खिजूर, सलमा
- Sanskrit:- खर्जूरी, स्वाद्वी, दुरारोहा, मृदुच्छदा, काककर्कटी
- Gujarati:- Khajur (खजूर), Kajuri (काजुरी)
- Marathi:- Shindi (शिन्दी), Boichand (बोई चांद)
- Kannada:- Ichalu (इचलु), Ichuli(इचुली)
Black Current – फालसेब
The botanical name of Phalsa is Grewia asiatica. Phalsa belongs to the Tiliaceae family.
Gooseberry – आँवला
The botanical name of Amla is Phyllanthus Emblica. It is from the Euphorbiaceae family. According to Ayurveda, Amla is a fruit that has innumerable benefits. Amla is beneficial for skin and hair, apart from this it also works as a medicine for many diseases.
- English:- Indian Gooseberry
- Hindi:- आमला, आँवला, आंवरा, आंबला औरा
- Sanskrit:- आमलकी, आमलकम्
- Gujarati:- Amla (आमला), Amli (आमली)
- Marathi:- Anwale (आँवले), Aawalkathi (आवलकाठी)
- Kannada:- Nelli (नेल्लि), Nellikai (नेल्लिकाय)
Grapes – अंगूर
The botanical name of grapes is Vitis vinifera and it is a plant of the Vitaceae family. This small fruit is very beneficial for health. The benefits of grapes have been explained in detail in Ayurveda. According to modern medicine, grapes are a storehouse of nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium, citric acid.
- English:- Grapes, Common grape vine
- Hindi:- अंगूर, दाख, मुनकका, द्राक्ष
- Sanskrit:- द्राक्षा, स्वादुफला, मधुरसा, मृद्वीका, गोस्तनी
- Gujarati:- Dharakh (धराख), Darakh (दराख)
- Marathi:- Angoor (अंगूर), Draksha (द्राक्ष)
- Kannada:- Draksha (द्राक्षा)
Black grapes – काला अंगूर
Guava – अमरुद
The Botanical name of Guava is Psidium guajava. Its family name is Myrtaceae. Guava is a delicious and nutritious fruit that is full of medicinal properties.
- English:- Common guava
- Hindi:- अमरूद, जामफल
- Sanskrit:- दृढबीजम्, मृदुफलम्, अमृतफलम्, पेरुक
- Gujarati:- Jamrud (जमरुड), Jamrukh (जमरूख)
- Marathi:- Jamba (जम्बा)
- Kannada:- Jamphal (जामफल)
Lychee – लीची
The botanical name of litchi is Litchi chinensis. Its family is soapberry.
- English:- Litchee, Litchi
- Hindi:- लीची
- Sanskrit:- लीची
- Gujarati:- Lichi(लीची)
- Marathi:- Lichi (लीची)
- Kannada:- Lichi hannu (लीची हन्नु)
The botanical name of Apricot is Prunus armeniaca and it belongs to the Rosaceae family. Apricot is a fruit with a kernel and the special thing about this fruit is that it can be eaten in both raw and dried form. Apricots are very beneficial for health as they are rich in nutrients.
- English:- Common Apricot
- Hindi:- खुबानी, जरदालू, चिलू
- Sanskrit:- उरुमाण
- Gujarati:- Jardalu (जरदालू)
- Marathi:- Jardalu (जर्दाळू)
The botanical name of mulberry is Morus alba and it belongs to the family Moraceae. The mulberry tree is about 3-7 meters high, medium-sized. Its leaves are straight and of various sizes. The leaves are 5 to 7.5 cm long, elliptical or broadly elliptical.
- English:- Mulberry
- Hindi:- शहतूत, सहतूत, तूत, तुतरी
- Sanskrit:- तूत, ब्रह्मकाष्ठ, मृदुसार, सुपुष्प, ब्रह्मदारु
- Gujarati:- Shetur (शेतूर)
- Marathi:- Tut (तूत)
- Kannada:- Tuti (तूती), Korigida (कोरीगिडा)
Cape Gooseberry -रसभरी
Dragon Fruit – ड्रैगन फल
Dragon is a fruit variety found in South America. Its scientific name is Hylocereus undatus. It belongs to the Cactaceae family. Its stems are pulpy and juicy. Anti-oxidants, fibers, and vitamin C are found in dragon fruit.
The scientific name of coconut is Cocos nucifera, it is the fruit of the Cocos family.
- English:- Coconut
- Hindi:- नारियल, खोपरा
- Sanskrit:- नालिकेर
- Gujarati:- Nariyel (नारियेळ), Shreefal (श्रीफल)
- Marathi:- khobrel (खोबरेल)
The scientific name of butter fruit is Persea Americana. Avocado is dark green fruit, it is also called butter fruit. It is rich in vitamins A, B, E, fiber, element, protein.
The botanical name of the fig is Ficus carica. It belongs to the Moresi family. Fig fruits are very nutritious. Its taste is sweet to eat.
- English:- Fig, Common fig
- Hindi:- अंजीर
- Sanskrit:- फल्गुजम्, अंजीरकम्, काकोदुम्बरिकाफलम्
- Gujarati:- Anjeer (अंजीर)
- Marathi:- Anjeer (अंजीर)
- Kannada:- Anjeer (अंजीर), Anjura (अंजूरा)
The botanical name of custard apple is Anona squamosa, and it belongs to the family Annonaceae. The custard apple may seem a bit rough, but the inside is white and soft. It is a sweet and delicious fruit to eat. Due to its appearance and taste, custard apple is a little special among all the fruits.
- English:- Custard apple, Sugar apple
- Hindi:- शरीफा, सीताफल, गात्र, कृष्णबीज, जानकी फल
- Sanskrit:- गण्डगात्र, सीताफलम, आतुप्य
- Gujarati:- Anuram (अनुराम), Anuri (अनूरी)
- Marathi:- Sitaphal (सीताफल), Aatichakki (आटीचक्की)
- Kannada:- Sitaphala (सीताफल )
The botanical name of jackfruit is Artocarpus heterophile. Jackfruit belongs to the Moraceae family. When jackfruit is raw, it is eaten as a vegetable and when it is ripe, it is eaten as a fruit. Jackfruit is eaten as a fruit after ripening.
- English:- Jackfruit, Jackfruit tree
- Hindi:- कटहर, कटहल, कठैल
- Sanskrit:- पनस, कण्टकिल, अतिबृहत्फल, आमाशयफल, स्कन्धफल, महासर्ज
- Gujarati:- Fanas (फनस)
- Marathi:- Fanas (फणस)
- Kannada:- Halasu (हलसु)
The botanical name of noseberry is Manilkara zapota. Noseberry belongs to the Sapotaceae family. It is about 7-10 m high, medium-sized, evergreen, small branched tree. Its flowers are white and yellow in color. Its fruits are fleshy, spherical, 3.8-5 cm in diameter, and juicy in brown color.
- English:- Noseberry, Beef apple, Bully tree
- Hindi:- चीकू
- Sanskrit:- कन्दुक-फल
- Gujarati:- Cheeku (चीकू)
- Marathi:- Chikali (चिकाली), Chikku (चिक्कू)
- Kannada:- Sapota (सपोटा)
The botanical name of lemon is Citrus aurantifolia and it belongs to the family Rutaceae. The characteristic of lemon is that while other fruits become sweet when ripe, the taste of lemon remains sour all the time. Lemon is the main source of vitamin C.
- English:- Lime, Bitter orange, Seville orange
- Hindi:- नींबू, कागजी नींबू
- Sanskrit:- बृहत् जम्बीर, निम्बुक
- Gujarati:- Limbu (लिंबू)
- Marathi:- Ambatanimbu (अंबटनिंबू), Limbu (लिंबू)
- Kannada:- Bijpur (बीजपूर)
The botanical name of Wood Apple (bael) is Aegle Marmelos. It belongs to the Rutaceae family. The flowers of Wood Apple (bael) are green and white.
Its fruits are spherical, elliptical, brown, or yellow in color. The rind of the fruit is hard and smooth. Its seeds are small, white, and smooth in clusters of 10-15. The flowering and fruiting period of the bael tree is from February to July.
- English:- Wood apple, Bel fruit
- Hindi:- बेल, श्रीफल
- Sanskrit:- बिल्व, शाण्डिल्य, शैलूष, मालूर, श्रीफल, कण्टकी
- Gujarati:- Bili (बीली)
- Marathi:- Bael (बेल), Bili (बीली)
- Kannada:- Bailpatre (बेलके पत्तेे)